Review on “Look What You Made Me Do”

Rest in peace the old Taylor Swift. Sunday night during MTV’s Video Music Awards, the music video to Swift’s latest single ‘Look What You Made Me Do’ aired. The music video consisted of many subtle jabs to Swift’s reputation questioning who is the real Taylor Swift.

The video opens in a graveyard with Swift digging herself out of a grave with the first dig at her pen name Nils Sjoberg referencing the controversy with the song ‘This is What You Came For’ that she sang vocals in with Rihanna and her ex-beau Calvin Harris.

The cinematography and storyline are amazing and consistent throughout the music video. The single is the first release of her sixth studio album ‘Reputation’ through Big Machine Records.

The moral of the music video is that Swift acknowledges the controversy that surrounds her and to rebrands her name. A more edgy and controversial Taylor that is not afraid to speak her opinion.

It seems as if video also takes a dig on Swift’s squad. In one scene, Swift stands on the podium with many beautiful models taking place in ‘Squad University.’

Towards the end of the music video, every Taylor Swift cameo on a red carpet or music video appears to be fighting with the new Taylor on top. The cinematography of this scene is impeccable and it shows the real fight of all the different Taylors.

The video closes with some of Swift’s past personas such as the ‘Red’ era Swift and the infamous 2009 MTV VMA Swift. They argue over the fact that they are all ‘fake.’ If you look closely, you can see another Swift on the wing of the airplane.

This is a different Taylor than we have seen in the past. No more breakup songs. Hello dark, edgy Taylor. This new side of Swift is intriguing, let’s see where it goes.