Spinning out of control

In April of 2017, many people everywhere were eager to buy the very popular fidget spinners. A fidget spinner is a toy that consists of a ball-bearing in the center of a multi-lobed flat structure made from metal or plastic designed to spin along its axis with little effort.  Some schools said they were becoming to distracting in class rooms so they began to ban them.

“[Fidget spinners] should be banned from schools because they are distracting to other students in the classroom,” Caide Tomaszewski (9) said.

Many people argued that they were used medically for ADD or ADHD. Although that is why they were made, students still said they found them distracting in classes.

“It’s a fast moving object in someone’s hand. People are using them as toys and not something to aid them. I have not seen a single student brandishing a fidget spinner because of a medical reason,” Tomaszewski said.

Although Lake Central as a whole has not banned fidget spinners, many teachers made the decision that they would not be allowed in their classrooms.

“I feel that they should be banned from the classroom because they create a larger distraction and do more harm than good. There are lots of other strategies in place for kiddos who need to get up and move around and fidget without a fidget spinner,” Mrs. Gina Mielcarek, English, said.

The new and exciting trend has calmed down throughout the last few months but new types of fidget toys are being made and sold, so school might continue to come face to face with these problems.