Hopping into history

Students+closely+pay+attention+to+the+progress+of+their+trip+in+%E2%80%9COregon+Trail%E2%80%9D.+Some+members+gave+suggestions+of+how+to+survive+longer+in+the+game.+
Students closely pay attention to the progress of their trip in “Oregon Trail”. Some members gave suggestions of how to survive longer in the game.

On Friday, Sept. 8, members of History Club gathered in the LGI for their weekly meeting. Officers explained the fact of the day and interacted with the students by playing “Oregon Trail” as a big group.

“It’s a fun interactive activity. I personally have a passion [for Oregon Trails] and I think it’s great because we’ll have students come up, show what they like to talk about and what they like to do. You can have a game, you can do whatever you want. It’s not just our club, it’s everyone who’s in the club,” Caitlin Mavity (12) said.

History Club is a popular extra-curricular that many students are interested in, but as of 2015, there are only seven History Clubs in the state of Indiana.

“I think there was a belief that once the people that started it were gone, that the History Club would die and it hasn’t. It actually got bigger and better. I really enjoy doing it as a sponsor,” Mr. Thomas Clark, Social Studies, said.

Mr. Clark has been sponsoring this club for several years. He intends to have the members learn more about the past, help out during special events, as well as go on field trips to museums.

“One thing we want to do is possibly go on a field trip. They’re talking about, not last year, but the year before, we went to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. We stayed in Indianapolis Friday night and then we stayed Saturday night in Dayton, Ohio,” Mr. Clark said.

Mr. Clark and the officers plan to have a field trip next year sometime in April. History Club means a lot to many students in Lake Central and teaches them things that go beyond facts in our history.

“It shows them that history is not just in a book. It’s all around you and it’s in things you see every day,” Caitlin Mavity (12) said.