Serving the community

Students gather in Mr. Tom Clark’s, Social Studies, room for an Interact Club meeting. The meeting only lasted about twenty minutes.

On Tuesday, Oct. 10, Interact Club had a meeting to discuss upcoming events and different plans they had for upcoming weeks. Interact gives students an opportunity to volunteer for different events during the school year.

“Interact is a community service based club. We are an opportunity for students who need service hours to get service hours. We meet once a week and we do activities and fundraising like the school-wide food drive, we did Pennies for Polio last year, we did the rose sales last year and we do a lot of the fundraising through the school. We do a lot of side stuff too,” Caitlin Mavity (12) said.

One project that the students are currently working on is promoting the food drive and ensuring that they have all of the necessary supplies. Club members were asked to bring in boxes and stay after if they could to help make posters. As this project begins, the club starts to finish their March of Dimes fundraiser.

“Right now, we are working on the food drive and still doing March of Dimes, which is collecting money for babies with birth defects. We change stuff throughout the year,” Mavity said.

The events that the students volunteer for are also opportunities for not only them to enjoy, but also for the entire school to enjoy.

“I am really excited to do the rose fundraiser, which is really fun. I also really enjoy doing the food drive because it is interesting to see how competitive classes can get. One of our main goals this year is to get the whole school involved because in past years it has declined, so we are trying to bring it back up to make a whole school competition,” Mavity said.