Costumes and candy

A girl gets her face painted by Ariana Kanaya (11). Some common designs trick-or-treaters had painted throughout the night included a heart, a basketball and a smiley face.

An inflatable minion, a fire chief and a chicken were all costumes that could be found on Wednesday, Oct. 25 at the Ghouls at the School event. This fundraiser was started by Ms. Ashley Kline, Guidance, and Ms. Brynn Denton, Guidance, last year to provide a Halloween event at the school.

“They trick or treat through the hallways into the gym and in the hallways there’s some photo backdrop and things like that. Once they are in the gym, there’s a DJ, costume contest, a bunch of kids’ halloween games and facepainting,” Kline said.

For trick-or-treaters in eighth grade and under, the cost was five dollars to get in, not including anyone who came with the trick-or-treaters.

“I think we definitely surpassed last year, just from the look of everything and how many people have come through, so I’m excited to see what the end result is. We have a lot of staff that brings their kids, so it’s nice to see their whole different life outside school, [and] it’s nice to see them be able to enjoy a school event,” Ms. Kline said.

The proceeds from the event are split between Dollars for Scholars, which awards scholarships to graduating seniors, and the Freshman Mentorship Program. Many students involved in these clubs volunteered to help out at the event.

“I thought it would be a good idea to get volunteer hours and interact with the community. It’s been fun seeing all of the little kids dressed up and I like passing out the candy,” Madeline Mahoney (11) said.

Even though many students will trick or treat on Halloween, Ghouls at the School allowed trick-or-treaters to get a jump start on candy collecting.

“We just want to have a fun, safe place for students and young children to come trick or treat within the walls of Lake Central and we figured this was the best way to do it,” Ms. Kline said.