LC Alumna Wins Major Bowling Title

In 1998, nobody knew that a women’s professional bowler was among the LCHS graduating class. In 2012, that graduate won the United States Bowling Congress Queens title, one of the major titles of bowling.

In the final match of the USBC Queens Championship, Diandra Asbaty (’98) defeated Carolyn Dorin-Ballard of Keller, Texas, by a score of 244-227.

“To be able to have the opportunity to compete for a major professional title against a Hall of Famer was special in itself, but then to win it against someone who I admired growing up was super special.”

Asbaty’s success has also come down to inspire current LC students.

“She is an awesome bowler and I think what she does is absolutely amazing,” Allison Sellers (11) said.  

Despite Asbaty’s current successes as a bowler don’t trace back to her time as an LC bowler. In fact, she never was an LC bowler because the school did not form a team until 2001.

“I tried to get there to be [a team]. I would have loved to have that team experience before bowling in college with a team,” Asbaty said.

No matter where Asbaty’s professional career takes her, she will always remember her time at LC.

“I’ll never forget where I came from. It’s the foundation of your life that sets you up for experiences to come. Fortunately, I had an amazing foundation set at Lake Central,” Asbaty said.