The best and worst of Met Gala fashion

Gucci+creative+director%2C+Alessandro+Michele%2C+Lana+Del+Rey+and+Jared+Leto+wear+custom+Gucci+on+the+Met+Gala+red+carpet.+The+annual+Met+Gala+took+place+on+May+7.+Photo+credit%3A+Marie+Claire+
Gucci creative director, Alessandro Michele, Lana Del Rey and Jared Leto wear custom Gucci on the Met Gala red carpet. The annual Met Gala took place on May 7. Photo credit: Marie Claire

Every year on the first Monday of May, celebrities, influencers and notable members of the fashion industry gather at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City to celebrate the Met Gala, a gala to celebrate the museum’s Costume Institute’s spring exhibit.

With the gala being dubbed as “fashion’s biggest night out,” extravagant and detailed outfits based around a different theme are expected to hit the red carpet. The theme presented on May 7 was “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination,” inspired by the numerous religious themed artworks featured within the museum.

Many of the attendees at this year’s Met Ball showcased outfits that suited the theme. Some personal standouts included Rihanna, who dressed in a beaded Margiela mini dress with a bejeweled bishop’s hat, Blake Lively, who looked like a queen in a red and gold beaded Versace gown, Ariana Grande, who was dressed in Vera Wang gown inspired by the Sistine Chapel and SZA, who dressed was dressed like a goddess in an ethereal pink Versace dress complete with a golden headpiece.

My personal favorite of all red carpet looks were worn by Jared Leto and Lana Del Rey. The duo dress in elaborate custom Gucci pieces that made the two singers look like they descended straight from Heaven.

There were certain looks from the gala that were less than impressive. Every Kardashian who attended the event looked basic and boring. They looked like they were at any other red carpet event, when they were at the Met Gala, the one event to go all out fashion-wise. Selena Gomez also looked pretty, but plain in a white Coach dress. Miley Cyrus looked stunning, but extremely bland in a boring Stella McCartney dress.

I was also disappointed with the garments of many of the men who attended the event. While some men wore immaculate outfits that fit the theme, like Chadwick Boseman and Darren Criss, most showed up in a boring and safe tuxedo.

Although not all of the fashion at this year’s Met was exciting, many of the looks are sure to be remembered and appreciated for years to come.