Review: Birdbox

The+cover+of+the+Netflix+movie+Bird+Box+is+shown.+This+movie+was+liked+by+many+after+its+debut.+
The cover of the Netflix movie Bird Box is shown. This movie was liked by many after its debut.

A Netflix Original Bird Box, is a mysterious and suspenseful movie. The movie was released Dec. 13, 2018 and striked the Netflix community with being such a big hit. The movie is about a mysterious force that decimates the world’s population. Sandra Bullock, playing Malorie, the main character, finds love, hope and a new beginning only for it to unravel.

The movie starts off normally and then dramatically changes when the “monster” takes over the population. The mysterious “monster” led characters to commit suicide when they looked at it. A group of people who survived the epidemic moved in together and covered all windows to hide from the monster. The movie bounces back and forth from past to present, leading to what happens in the end.

In Bird Box, director Susanne Bier never shows the monster, just the characters’ reactions, which changes the character’s eyes, eventually leading the characters to suicide. Biers production of suspense left audiences on the edge of their seats. The movie got a 64 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and 63 percent of audiences liked it. The movie was a big hit around the country and 45 million people turned out to stream the post-apocalyptic thriller.

The movie portrays mental illness and many got worried that it would trigger those who are suicidal. There are many different things people are saying about the movie. Some think it was great and they believe it shows the effects of suicide. Others think that it portrayed mental illness poorly.