Preparing for competition

Elliot Basem (11) finishes his project for the next competition. The students met in order to practice for their upcoming competition. Science Olympiad met after school on Thursday, Feb, 21, in C221.

On Thursday, Feb. 21, Science Olympiad met  to prepare for their competition at Loyola University in Chicago, Ill., on Saturday, Feb. 23. The club meets every Tuesday and Thursday after school in Room C221.

“Our regular meetings are Tuesdays and Thursdays. But there are people there almost everyday, really late into the night. We also have Saturday practices sometimes,” Mackenzie Moore (12) said.

Each competition has events with their own rules and regulations.

“[The] rules come in forms of ‘specs,’ which are papers that are sent out [with] specific details on them,” Moore said.

Science Olympiad is almost ran completely by students, with the help of Mrs. Martin.

“Our team is almost completely student run, so when competition comes up, we have a group [of students] that puts people on the schedule,” Moore said.

When competitions come, they take tests or test the ability and performance of the things they have built.

“[Competitions] are seperated into study events and build events. Study events are just like a regular test. Build events are [where] you have to physically make something to see how it runs,” Moore said.