All The Right Notes

As she sits on the auditorium stage, Emma Westerfield (10) plays familiar tunes on her flute. Westerfield went through extensive interview processes to be considered for the Interlochen summer camp.

Every summer, students from each continent come together to celebrate and share their talents. The camp highlights those who excel in areas such as music, dance, theater, visual arts and creative writing.

“I got into Interlochen. It’s this worldwide event when you go to a camp over the summer where people get to work on their art,” Emma Westerfield (10) said.

Westerfield falls under the music portion of the accepted students. After being introduced to the flute in her middle school band class, Westerfield decided that she was going to make it her passion her life.

“I want to pursue music as a career. I do whatever I can to prepare myself for a career in musical orchestra,” Westerfield said.

The internationally recognized program Interlochen accepts only 2,500 students each year for their summer camps. Those who attend are deemed to be some of the best of the best in their respective field.

“It’s kind of crazy. I didn’t think I was going to make it. I think it’s awesome that I was able to beat out talented people from all over the world. I think it’s going to help me introduce myself to music outside of Indiana and even the country and [I’ll] get to meet people from other places,” Westerfield said.

Due to its exclusivity, the experience Westerfield will gain this upcoming summer will be unlike any other- and prospective universities and music institutions will know it too.

“Interlochen is really well known. So if I tell people that gone to Interlochen, then they’ll know that I have something to offer,” Westerfield said.