Early defeat

The boys line up for the pledge before the start of the game. The JV and Varsity boys took on Munster on Sep. 2, 2019.

Isabella Brazzale, Print Staff

On Labor Day the boys soccer team faced off against Munster at home. The boys took an early lead during the first half scoring against Munster’s starting goaltender Tim Giannini (12). The goal was scored by senior Jack Bailey (12). The boys kept up this pace scoring one more and keeping Munster at zero the whole first half.

“During the game, there were moments where we were on the front foot and were playing confident. There were also parts that we struggled to play good defense but overall, we played a great game as a team,” Ben Puch (10) said.

During the second half the boys continued their fight with Jake Noldin (10) scoring the third goal of the night. Munster came back scoring one against the boys, although the goal was overruled by the referees keeping the score 3-0. Later in the half, Munster’s Vitality Protts (12) scored against the boys taking the game to 3-1. Finally senior Robert Macneill scored his first goal of the game making Lake Central’s fourth and final goal of the night.

“We are all brothers, we have our moments but at the end of the day we are all fighting for each other. I’m very happy with the way we’ve been playing. I hope we can keep it up and hopefully win the DAC and a sectional title,” Noldin said.

The boys finished with a 4-1 win, their next game is at Portage Wednesday, Sep. 4. After their wins against Michigan city, South Bend, St. Joseph’s High School and Munster, the boys are hoping to continue to win. The next home game will be against LaPorte Sat., Sep. 14, at 11:30 a.m. Come out and support the boys as they fight to stay ahead for the rest of the season.

“Being on the team is awesome, all the kids come from different clubs and are all different ages. We have many sophomores and I see them all as family, I believe this team is very special. Comparing this year to last years team, we lost a lot of seniors, and many leaders. I believe that was the hardest obstacle to adjust too. I think the first game was a wake up call, and from here on out we will win all of our games this season,” Bailey said.