Full house

Mr. Tom Clark, Social Studies, talks to parents about expectations of his class. Many parents attended his open house presentation interested in what he teaches.

Annika Gorney and Morgan Taylor

On Thursday, Aug. 12, teachers and parents came together for the open house. Parents followed their student’s schedule in order to meet all their teachers and get a feel for the classes their child is taking during this school year.

“By being here, [teachers are] trying to make relationships with the parents that have taken time from their busy schedules to come and meet [us]. We’re building relationships with parents and with the school so we’re like school ambassadors as well,” Mr. Bryan Szalonek, Social Studies, said. 

Members of the Freshmen Mentor Program volunteered their time to help guide any lost parents and answer any questions they may have throughout the night. Mentors also serve during Freshman rush and other freshman events throughout the year.

“I’m in the mentor program, so I’m showing people where their kid’s classes are. A lot of parents have questions about classes, especially AP classes and how easy the tests are,” Jennifer Tulsiak (11) said. 

Open house provides an opportunity for parents to learn about their child’s school and the kind of experience they gain from attending it. Parents can get the added benefit of being involved in their child’s schedule and helping them succeed throughout the school year, while teachers can meet the parents of students they will be teaching and connect with them.

“I believe parents should attend open house because it’s something where you can put a face with a name. You can make connections that way and [parents] can ask any questions they have,” Szalonek said.