Review: Tall Girl

Tall Girl is a movie starring Ava Michelle as Jodi. The Netflix original film was released on September 13, 2019.

Emily Prince, Design Editor

The film Tall Girl starts out with a young high school student named Jodi, (Ava Michelle) who is 6’1”. I immediately related to the title of the movie because I am 5’8.  Although the main character has a whole five inches on me, I am still above the average height for girls my age. Before the movie came out I saw the trailer, and I actually laughed after watching it. The movie is a romcom set in in the 21st  century where the only problems the movie focused on, is a girl who is taller than the average person. Yes, being tall gives you one minor setback, which is the possibility that you may be taller than your crush. But that in no way makes somebody a minority. Many viewers were quick to point out that the main character is a white, model height,  female who drives an SUV to school in the morning. 

The different relationships in the film stay true to a romance movie. You have Jodi and her sister, Harper Kreyman, (Sabrina Carpenter) who are at odds during the majority of the movie. The sisters end up overcoming their differences and become closer. The antagonist of the movie, Kimmy Stitcher, (Clara Wilsey) spends the majority of the movie bullying Jodi and pining over the new exchange student. You have the best friends of the movie, Jack Dunkleman, (Griffin Gluck) who has been in love with Jodi for 7 years. Jack happens to be shorter than Jodi, and spends the entire movie trying to convince her that her height does not matter. And lastly you have the “hottie with a body” ,Stig Mohlin, (Luke Eisner) who is the schools new exchange student and Jodi’s newfound love interest.

Jodi faced constant negative comments about her height, and felt bullied.  One line in the movie stuck out to a lot of people, 

“You think your life is hard? I’m a high school junior wearing size 13 Nikes. Men’s size 13 Nikes. Beat that!” (3:15-3:25). 

Thousands of people can beat her problems, the movie was never about her shoe size, or being bullied for her height. The entire movie is about a young girl with very low self confidence, which is a much more relatable topic for girls. 

Tall Girl ends just like any other typical romance, Jodi ends up falling for her best friend, Jack, and learns a big life lesson. Tall Girl is about embracing who you are and not changing for others.