An Intergenerational Breakfast

Brenna Polovina, Echo Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Nov. 2, members of the senior group Young at Heart and of the student group A.L.I.V.E. met and had breakfast. They played games and enjoyed fellowshipping with each other. 

“I liked the fellowshipping because I don’t spend a lot of time with that generation. I loved just being able to learn and get advice from the group because they are very wise and have a lot of experience. I came because it broadened my knowledge of how to interact with old people because teens don’t really get to spend time with older people as much,” Brianna Humber said. 

The youth worship band performed after breakfast. A senior, Ruth Bougie, enjoyed this contemporary form of worship and appreciated its meaning. 

“I understood the way they looked at things and that they love Jesus just the same as older people do. I think that there are a lot of differences in how we serve but ultimately we are serving and loving the same God. We are working toward the same goal but we may have different ways of playing that goal out,” Bougie said.

The groups played games such as “guess the slang” or “telephone pictionary.” After these games, members of the Young at Heart shared their testimonies and their walk with Jesus. 

“The main purpose is to get the different generations interacting with each other and to establish a bond with the students and the Young at Heart. In the scriptures, the church has many different parts and each of these parts need to be well acquainted with each other through fellowship. Usually, people at the church cater a lot of time to the little kids and I am very grateful to have a youth group that loves to spend time and help the Young at Heart,” Pastor Adam Landkrohn said. 

According to Pastor Landkrohn, students in A.L.I.V.E. assist the seniors by raking leaves, shoveling snow, cleaning out gutters and tidying houses.  

“I think we need to ignore the age gap, and we need to fellowship with the younger ones. Teenagers are the future of the church, and if we don’t take care of them and make sure that they get spiritually nourished there is not a future to the church,” Norm Polaskey said.