High School Musical: The Musical: The Series Review

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is a Disney Plus original that follows the high school students of East High putting on High School Musical: The Musical. The show was released on Nov. 12 and will continue to release episodes from the first season through Jan. 20. Photo by: Disney Plus

Cori Lollis, Web Content Editor-in-Chief

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is an original show on Disney Plus. HSMTMTS takes place at East High School in Utah where the original High School Musical movies were filmed. The show is about the drama department putting on High School Musical: The Musical for the first time at East High. 

Music from the new episodes is released every Friday along with the episodes. With Jan. 20, 2020 as the release date of the finale, the series will consist of ten episodes total. 

The first episode introduces the new characters through the musical auditions. Along with the new characters, a love triangle was introduced between Nini, Ricky and EJ. Nini, played by Olivia Rodrigo, auditions to be Gabriella. EJ, Nini’s boyfriend, captain of the water polo team, is guaranteed to be a lead in the musical auditions for the part of Troy. Ricky, Nini’s ex-boyfriend, hates musicals, but auditions for Troy to win Nini back. HSMTMTS follows the cast’s lives and how they are dealing with everything that’s going on. 

Songs like “I Think I Kinda” and “Wondering” are catchy and offer the same High School Musical feel with a new take. Throughout the episodes, they sing the original songs with their own spin such as Nini singing “Breaking Free” by herself, not as a duet. 

Before its launch, the show was renewed for a second season. Overall, High School Musical: The Musical: The Series isn’t a remake of the original movies but a celebration of them. It celebrates what they where about and what made them so iconic to our generation.