Thespians Address Fundraisers for the School Year

Eager students gathered in the auditorium for the monthly International Thespian Society meeting after school on Tuesday to talk about the club’s fundraisers.

“People can give their cans to me before Oct. 1. Trick or Treat so Kids Can Eat (TOTS-EAT) is an organization started by the International Thespian Society to provide food for the hungry. Thespian troupes worldwide have participated and even competed in this charity annually. Last year, theater had the heaviest weight in the state, 2,526 pounds. My goal for this year is 5,000 pounds,” Richanne Matthews (12) said.

TOTES-EAT is one out of three fundraisers ITS addressed within the meeting.

“On September 19th—next Wednesday—Penn Station is going to give us ten percent of their profits from that day,” Eve Mendoza (11) said.

Without the help of selling Otis Spunkmeyer cookies during lunch, the theater company decided to sell fine arts calendars.

“You can ask any of the officers, Mrs. [Pam] Neth, or Mr. [Ray] Palasz if you’re interested in buying a calendar. They’re twenty dollars. Within the calendars are important dates and events for performing arts clubs at Lake Central like band, theater, and choir. In addition, photos featuring students involved in these clubs are showcased in the calendar. Whether or not you’re in the clubs, it’s important that people buy them because the money funds the theater students’ trip to the Indiana State Thespian Conference,” Matthews said.