Dollars for Scholars Finds Leaders

In a cafeteria filled with college-bound students, Dollars for Scholars members gathered to elect officers and plan for the 2012-2013 school year.

“For the first time in all three years I’ve been doing [DFS], this is the biggest turnout so far. I’m pleased,” sponsor Mrs. Sarah Cancialosi said.

The meeting started with a general overview of upcoming events for the DFS community and new ideas. The meeting concluded with the selection of volunteers to take leadership positions of president, vice president, secretary, historian, webmaster and advertising. Due to an overwhelming response of volunteers, DFS will have two senior presidents this year.

“I have been involved in DFS since I was a freshman, I felt that I would be able to lead the students very well since I have participated in most of the DFS activities. Also, I am a people person, and I have a great ability to talk to anyone, student or adult, and because of this, I wanted to be able to help other members with anything they need,” Anna Swan (12) said.

Swan will share the president role with Marissa Emery (12). Together, they will run the DFS meetings every month and plan other activities for the club.

“My goal over the year is to get as many people involved as possible and make Dollars for Scholars a more well-known group,” Emery said.

DFS meetings are held the second Wednesday of every month, with the next meeting being held on Oct. 10 in the South Cafeteria.