Teaching In Quarantine

Mrs. Shupryt is back at school doing what she loves where she loves to do it. She sat at her desk preparing the lesson for the day.

Natalie Genovese, Social Media Editor in Chief

Mrs. Julie Shupryt, Science, came into close contact with a friend who tested positive for COVID-19. 

“He tested and found out on Tuesday he was positive. So Wednesday was my first day I quarantined. Then we had to quarantine until Oct. 3,” Shupryt said. 

She, however, tested negative and only quarantined for eight days before returning to her classroom to resume teaching in person. 

With the pandemic still raging on, LC teacher, Mrs. Shupryt reaches her students from her home classroom. “About 6 of us all quarantined, no one else wound up getting it, but because of the safety rules, we all had to quarantine for 14 days even with negative tests,” Shupryt said. Her and her friends all tested negative and she was able to continue teaching from her at home classroom.

Time in quarantine didn’t prevent Mrs. Shupryt from teaching her students. Teaching from home also brought up many challenges and difficulties. 

“Probably the hardest thing is that when teaching from home, my daughter still is there, I have a 4 year old, and I have a dog so they really want attention at the same time,” Shupryt said.

While tasked with many challenges, LC’s teaching staff continues to provide quality education to their students.

Tasks that were never an issue for in person learning became large issues while teaching remotely. 

“Something that would normally take thirty seconds in class, was taking ten minutes with me not being there,” Shupryt said. 

Although she was faced with many obstacles, Mrs. Shupryt was able to overcome them and continued to teach and provide her students with materials they needed.

Teaching students this year while being at home is a completely different environment and experience in comparison to last year. 

“It was really weird. It was very, kind of, like me talking to myself a lot,” Shupryt said.

Mrs. Shupryt had a substitute teacher in her room while she was on a Google Meet communicating and trying to interact with her students as best as she could. Being at home is hard for a teacher.

“I was working the entire time and there was never a time where I stopped, but by the time I was done for the day, I was just done. I couldn’t focus, I didn’t want to be on the computer anymore and I got way too distracted,” Shupryt said.