WSU Instagram page sparks outrage, important discussion

The poll claiming to be for the school publications is among many other posts targeting a variety of minority groups. The Instagram page, with the handle @wsuoflchs, has since been taken down after being reported for harassment. Photo illustration by Nitya Shah

The surfacing of an insensitive Instagram page encouraging white supremacy, discrimination and prejudice prompted conversation within the community. 

On Monday, March 8 an offensive Instagram page came to light discussing topics such as “White Lives Matter,” straight white men being “under attack” and unnecessary comments toward the LGBTQI+ community. The user(s) of the page were shielded by anonymity, therefore the authors behind the insensitivity of any posts created were – in a way – protected.

Later in the day, a poll became active falsely claiming to be “for pub.” With our experience interviewing students around the school, we know how to deal with students, the truth and know how to ask unbiased questions. As a staff, we believe everyone has a story to tell, and it is our job to cover both sides of every issue without any bias. 

This page brought up extreme bias and promoted ideals that are opposite of those of which we stand for as journalists. Being one of the most diverse Editorial Boards in our school’s history, along with our experience in interviewing students about these minority issues, we are aware of the negative effect that this page had on the LC community. 

This has given us a moment to reflect back on our struggles, successes and hindrances. While doing so, along with the emergence of social media pages that promote division, we are faced with one of the most unspoken issues among students – how the struggle to address diversity and intersectionality only facilitates disunity and tension inside the walls of this school – one that needs to be addressed. With three out of six of the editors in chief being students of color and five out of six being women, we have had our share of experiences being targeted with microaggressions, prejudice and insensitive jokes. 

Feeling unsafe in an environment that is supposed to be positive is the last thing anyone wants, and unions and alliances help. When minority students are given the opportunity to make a union, its goal is to form a sense of community where their group is already underrepresented. With thousands of people walking in and out of this school and the majority being white, inclusivity matters. Feeling heard matters. We do not tolerate the act of mocking or belittling minorities, and ignoring this issue will only make it worse.

The reason why Black Student Unions, or any minority unions for that matter, are more productive than White Student Unions is that they are, in fact, minorities. When the owner(s) of this account states that their goal is trying to make “Lake Central straight, white and Christian,” it’s hard to take that seriously when our school consists of a population made up of students who are 68.4% white, according to the Indiana Department of Education.  When it comes to representation in mainstream media and in school, straight, white and Christian men are portrayed the most. 

After an investigation by the administration and the police department, it has been determined that the creator of this account is not a student of Lake Central. This situation prompted many crucial conversations about what our community stands for – conversations that needed to happen and should continue to happen. But without the efforts to make a change, conversation only goes so far. 

Diversifying faculty and promoting more organizations that preserve the diversity of Lake Central would be a step in the right direction. Direct communication between students and administration in situations like these prevents misinformation and promotes transparency. The posts made by this account targeted the minority students that make Lake Central as rich as it is.  We, as the Editorial Board, recognize their frustration, fear and anger during times like these and make it our priority with every story we publish to ensure the voices of all students are heard.

Riley Knestrict

Hailey Prasopoulos

Adriana Rodriguez

Justyce Reed

Nitya Shah