Filling the Vacuum

Kai Blankenship, Print Team Leader

During a year of readjusting to all students learning in-person, some have used this as an opportunity to start their own clubs. Multiple new student-run clubs including the Black Vision Club, the Women’s Empowerment Club and Spanish Club, have been established within the first few months of the school year.

“I started the Women’s Empowerment Club with Maya Gorney. Feminism is something both Maya and I are passionate about, so we wanted to be able to share this in a safe space and help empower young girls,” Sasha Gerike (11) said.

Every club is required to have a teacher as a sponsor. Tina Barnett, Study Hall, agreed to sponsor the Black Vision Club as soon as students approached her with the idea.

“I felt that the students, who asked me, had a vision that was important to them and a purpose that immediately needed to be pursued.  I envisioned a warm and inviting platform that radiates encouragement, positivity, strengthening self-confidence and laughter,” Barnett said.

From making announcements over the intercom, to simply talking to peers, there are a variety of different ways that students can advertise for their organizations. Spanish Club was also able to use the Spanish teachers to raise awareness for the club.

“I spread the word by putting posters up around and the school and the Spanish teachers all helped to tell their classes about it. My friends and I also told a lot of people that they should join,” Ella Dobrovits (11) said. 

Starting a new club is not a simple task. It requires planning and dedication. However, as described by the sponsor of the Women’s Empowerment Club, it can also be very rewarding for both the students in charge and the school as a whole.

“The more clubs we have, the more likely each and every student has a place where they feel they belong.  Starting a club if you see a vacuum that exists can not only help you, it can give others a place to belong,” Kathryn Clark, English, said.