Water and Fire

Cami Lollis, Print Staff

On Dec. 4, the girls swimming team traveled to Munster High School for Munster Relays. At the meet, each event is turned into a relay for the girls to race in. The meet began at 1:00 p.m. and ended around 5:00 p.m.

“Munster Relays is a swim meet with only relays. I swam in the 200 Free, 800 Free and 400 Free. I am always excited to be in these events because I usually do well swimming free. I feel like I did my best, but I have room to improve. I look forward to improving over the rest of the season,” Gabrielle Giordano (10) said.

After the sixth event in the meet had just concluded, fire alarms began ringing requiring the school to evacuate. All teams evacuated the building and followed protocol until the teams could re-enter the building. Munster opened up their school cafeteria for the teams to stay in and parents pulled up their cars to keep the swimmers warm.  

“The fire drill was super confusing at first. I tried to grab as many towels and sweatshirts as I could and made sure to grab my phone. I was just cold,” Audrey Smith (11) said. 

After reentering the building, teams were given around ten minutes to warm-up before the meet resumed. The girls finished out the meet winning fourth place. Next week the girls will take on LaPorte High School. 

“I think the team did great mostly because everyone swam their hardest for the relay. Not to mention, everyone bounced back from the fire drill. I swam the 100 fly. I was pretty excited because I was looking forward to not being pressured in a race by myself. In upcoming meets I look forward to improving my times and cheering on my team,” Smith said.