Off the Board

Julio Herrera, Echo/Comet Photo Editor

Girls Varsity swim and diving had their Duneland Athletic Conference (DAC) at their home pool on Jan. 15. The whole team placed second place out of the eight teams, the girls, like Brenna Pacheco, placed well in most of their events.

“I swam the 200 free, the 500 free, the 200 free relay and the 400 free relay. They all went well. I got 6th in the 200 free, 8th in the 500 and second in both the relays,” Pacheco said.

Throughout the meet, the girls stayed determined and kept swimming, aiming for a personal record. Some people can come from another sport and gain the love of a new sport like Kayla Garza (12).

“I did diving sophomore year because I did cheer, then I stopped doing cheer and then I didn’t do diving junior year so I wanted one more time before I graduated,” Garza said.

Garza is a diving athlete and placed ninth place out of fifteenth at DAC, with a finals score of 260. Being on the board can be frightening and feel nervous before going to dive into the water and swim to the finish like Anna Kabrud (10). 

“If I’m anxious before my race, I usually try to tell myself I’ve swam this a billion times before, and at this point it’s just muscle memory and I have nothing to worry about,” Kabrud said.