A Taste Of Serbia

On Dec. 8, the Balkan Club had a meeting after school and focused on Serbian culture. Club leaders Liliana Zarakas (11) and Mila Emerick (11) encouraged members to bring any exclusive Serbian food, costumes or pictures.

“We’re focusing on Serbia and each meeting we’re going to talk about different countries in the Balkans. Today is Serbian Day. We’re going to talk about its history, its culture, its religion and different foods,” Zarakas said.

Mr. Szalonek, social studies, sponsors the club and was more than willing to see the club’s vision through. The club was created this year and has been successful so far.

“Lily is a student of mine and she said they needed someone to sponsor the club. Now that I’m not coaching any longer, I have free time, so I agreed to do it. I’m happy to do that because it’s a fun club and so far, it’s been well-attended. I’m enjoying it so far,” Szalonek said.

A whole meal was set out which included cevapi (a kind of sausage) and ajvar (a dressing made from red peppers). While they ate, members listened to a history and culture lesson from the club leaders. The next meeting is planned to be centered around learning dances since the prior dance meeting was very popular. People interested should bring water and athletic wear.

“The club is for a bunch of Balkan kids and people who want to learn about Balkan culture. Mila Emerick (11) and I created this group because we feel like we should show our representation of our culture and really share our experiences growing up in Balkan cultures,” Zarakas said.