Serving Up an Awesome Season

On March 9, 2024, the Boys Varsity Volleyball team took on Merrillville High School at the “DAC-O-Rama” held at Lake Central. The varsity team consists of players of all ages ranging from freshmen to seniors. One of those varsity freshmen players is Braedon Cook (9).

“It [varsity volleyball] is a very big learning experience right now because our seniors are obviously the best. Hunter Carroll [12] is one of the best hitters we have right now, and he is guiding me through the season. I just want to prove myself to them,” Cook said.

During this specific game, the boys won two of three sets with the final score of the last set being 15-6. One key player for this game was Dannis Smith (10). Smith had many successful spikes and hits throughout the game.

“Being on varsity has been challenging with better competition and more expectations. Overall, I am liking it and am very happy to get to play against such amazing players. I hope to keep improving over the next few years,” Smith said.

The Boys Varsity Volleyball team has at least four more games to play this season and hopes to make it to state. Once this season ends, players will condition until tryouts start next year, where they will aim to reclaim their spot on the team. 

“I hope next year’s tryouts are less nerve wracking. This year was my first time trying out since I am a freshman. I put all my confidence on the line and did my best. I made sure that I did what I know I am good at. I hope next year goes as good as this year went,” Cook said