Freshmen Shine on Opening Night

Abigail Keith (9) and Raquel Rembert (9) act out a scene on opening night of the freshmen shows. Keith acted as Cinderella in the short play and Rembert was her sassy fairy godmother listening to her first real love encounter.

The annual freshmen shows hosted their opening night on May 2, featuring 26 freshmen and 11 student directors.

“I feel like last night we did really well. There’s always a couple mishaps in a show the first time you do it, but I’m really proud of all the freshmen,” Abigail Keith (9) said

Some young actors may get the jitters before their first performance, but playing off of the audience’s energy can help settle their nerves.

“It’s good to look out into the audience. Seeing how many people there are and to see if people are laughing and enjoying it. You can either play up your performance or bring it down if you feel like they really enjoy it or need more enthusiasm,” Keith said.

Freshmen One Act Shows are different from other high school theater productions because it involves peers directing other peers as well as other technical elements.

“It’s really good to have friends who are upperclassman. You can learn a lot from them because they’re really good actors as well,” Keith said.

The show’s closing night is May 3 and is the last production at Lake Central for the seniors.

“Tonight we’re going to work on the same things we always do. Going over important things we do in rehearsal,” Keith said.