Art Becomes the Artist

Kelly Massei (11) has been striving to improve her artistic abilities for years. During the art exhibit on display for the last week, Massei was finally able to display her artistic growth.

“I felt ecstatic. Art is a part of me, and it felt like I really accomplished something important when it was chosen to be displayed,” Massei said.

An artist finds inspiration in everything. From the most minuscule flower to the grandest tree to the environment an artist surrounds himself or herself with, inspiration develops in many forms at different times. Massei draws her inspiration from her reality.

“I love animals and realistic art so I like to incorporate subjects such as cats and people into my work. I feel like art is the main area of school where I am comfortable and [can] excel,” Massei said.

Massei has been drawing and developing her artistic abilities for many years. However, Massei feels that this year she has been able to develop her skills further due to help and instruction along the way.

“I have always possessed a natural ability for art but taking art classes inside and outside of school has taught me proper techniques for creating art. I feel like I have become a more efficient artist because I can create a quality piece of art in a short amount of time,” Massei said.

Art is a life form. It provides a way for the painter, the potter and for the everyday scholar to create and transform themselves into what is being created.

[I would advise aspiring artists to] practice all the time, and if you can, take art classes. Practicing art really does help to improve art skills. I am not sure what I want to in college but I am seriously thinking about pursuing a career in art,” Massei said.