Tough Regional Loss

On Saturday, June 1, the varsity baseball team traveled to LaPorte High School to take on the Portage Indians at 10:30 a.m. to start their Regional journey.

The outcome of the first game decided if the boys would advance to the Regional Championship. Lake Central was down in the first two innings, but managed to emerge victorious with a 9-4 win.

“Going into the second game, I knew it was going to be tough. [Elkhart Central is] ranked high in the state. It was going to be a tough run, but I had confidence that we could do it,” Steven Fulk (12) said.

The Indians struggled in the first four innings, but pulled it together to score two runs in the fifth inning. Anthony Schneider (12) and Brenden Seren (11) each had hits that landed them on base to score. Ryan Burvan (12) was the player responsible for three miraculous plays that held the team in the bottom of the sixth. In the end, the strong defense was not enough and the boys came up short, losing 4-2.

”It was a tough game, but we knew it was going to be a hard task to repeat. We never quit and we never had it set in our minds that we were going to lose. The last four years with these guys has taught me a lot and I would not trade it for the world,” Schneider said.

Many of the seniors are proud with their accomplishments, but still disappointed with the season’s ending.

“Our team proved to a lot of people that we could compete and I’m so proud of each and every one of them. We had our ups and downs but we showed that we can win games when we needed to and not give up,” Burvan said.