Varsity boys soccer triumphs over Andrean

Michael McClelland (10) goes head-to-head with a 59ner for the ball. McClelland ended the play with the ball in his possession.

Hannah Sonner and Hannah Sonner

On Tuesday, Aug. 19, varsity boys soccer won its first game of the season against the Andrean 59ers. The final score was 4-1.

“The first half was kind of rough. We have a young team with three freshmen starting and with it being the first game of the year we had to let our nerves settle,” Everett Sanders (12) said.

Halfway through the first half, the Indians kicked it into high gear.

“During the second half we settled down, got comfortable, and started connecting our passes. It went a lot smoother,” Sanders said.

The goalie of the team, Jorge Trujillo (11), only let up one goal the entire night.

“I think it went really well for the first game. I was mad that I let up a goal, though,” Trujillo said.

The boys still feel like they have things to work on in order to come out on top in future games.

“Our defensive shape was a little off. Other than that we just need to recover and rest our legs. If we play like we did in the second half of the Andrean game, we should come out with a win against Crown Point,” Sanders said.

Three of the four goals scored at the game were by the starting freshmen.

“[The freshmen] really stepped up for their first high school game,” Sanders said.

The boys’ next game is against Crown Point High School at home at 6:30 p.m.