Students gather for Best Buddies call out meeting

Noah Sarkey (12) and Chase Lowden (11) explain Best Buddies to students in more detail. Students filled the south cafeteria on Monday, Sept. 16 for this meeting.

Maddie Hirschfield and Maddie Hirschfield

After school on Monday, Sept. 16, general and special education students filed into the south side of the cafeteria for the Best Buddies call out meeting.

“I think being in Best Buddies would be a really good learning experience,” said Sydney Halfeldt (10).

Best Buddies is a club that focuses on creating one-on-one friendships between general education students and students with certain disabilities. A student participating in the club is expected to make contact with their buddy at least once a week and organize two activities to do with them twice a month. A peer buddy is also required to update these events every month on Best Buddies Online and attend all meetings and fundraisers hosted. The Best Buddies organization depends on the dedication and time commitment students give to the club and to their buddy.

“Students should definitely get involved with Best Buddies because it is not just another club at Lake Central. Sure, you’ve got everything that is volunteer work and that’s great, but it won’t change your life. I feel like Best Buddies has the opportunity to change your life,” Best Buddies vice-president Noah Sarkey (12) said.

Different activities that take place during Best Buddies gatherings include playing games with different people, bonding with your buddy and meeting and getting to know other students. This year, the Best Buddies organization is currently trying to plan a field trip to Fair Oaks Farm. The main purpose of the meeting is to get club members involved with several events they would not normally participate in.

“I really enjoy just seeing the happiness that just the little things that we do can bring the people. I don’t even know how to describe it. It’s great,” Sarkey said.

The next Best Buddies meeting will be held on Monday, Sept. 30. For more information, students can visit Mrs. Kathryn Clark, English, in E102.