JV and Varsity Girls Volleyball takes on Crown Point

The+Varsity+team+gathers+in+a+team+huddle+on+the+court.+This+brief+conference+ended+shortly+after%2C++continuing+the+game.+
The Varsity team gathers in a team huddle on the court. This brief conference ended shortly after, continuing the game.

On Tuesday, Sept. 2, the JV and varsity girls volleyball team faced off against Crown Point. Although JV lost two of their three sets, they kicked off their game with a four point lead in the first set by server Frances Kornelik (10).

“We beat them [Crown Point] before in the tournament so I’m looking forward to beating them again. Defense was a little off today, ” Kornelik said.

Crown Point dominated the first set with a final score of 25-21. However, the girls did have a victory when they took the win for the second set with a score of 25-21. The third and final set was taken by Crown Point with an ending score of 25-21.

“[The girls] didn’t play their best. They have a first school day of the week syndrome and they need to get over that. They could improve with more communication and blocking. [My hopes are] to improve throughout the season and win conference,” Mrs. Jennifer Fandl, JV coach, said.

Although JV didn’t have its best day, varsity turned things around for the fans by winning three of their four sets. The girls kicked off their first set with a win of 25-21.

“[Winning] is awesome. We proved everyone wrong this year. We are a force to be reckoned with,” Alyssa Born (12) said.

However, the girls did lose the second set to Crown Point with a final score of 25-20. They came back in the third set with a winning score of 25-14, and a score of 25-15 in the fourth.

“[I think] that was an amazing team effort tonight. We were so offensive from the service line to my five hitters ready to hit at all times. I’m so proud of them. We served aggressively and  we had about 11 block kills in the first set and that really set the tone. They were quick points registered. We are always working, it’s a process. Everyday we come in here and build a game plan, which paid off tonight ”  Tina Tinberg, varsity head coach, said.

The next chance to cheer on the team will take place on Thursday, Sept. 4, in Lake Central’s main gym against Portage.