Home sweet home

Keith Crawford (10) practices his strokes before the match. He had a tight run with his opponent, but lost in a tie-breaker.

On Wednesday, Sept. 23, the JV and varsity boys tennis teams faced Merrillville on Lake Central grounds.

“Going into the game yesterday…the team felt good. We wanted to win because it was our last home game and we had a lot of confidence,” Keith Crawford (11) said.

The match was delayed a little due to the late arrival of the Merrillville team. However, that did not hold back the boys at all. Both JV and varsity came out strong, as JV won its matches 7-1 and varsity won 4-1.

“[The late start affected me] because the sun was strategically placed in my eyes so I couldn’t see. What would happen was, I would see the ball, and then I would lose it. My eyes would have to readjust” Michael Hemmerling (11) said.

As it was the last home game, it was senior night for these boys. The seniors on the team said their goodbyes to the courts by winning and sharing the win with their teammates.

“Even though we won, I didn’t get cocky. I’m glad I played with a freshman so he can learn from our mistakes” Raymond Pollalis (12) said.