Varsity boys tennis takes a loss at Sectionals

Richard+Larson+%2810%29+high-fives+his+teammates+after+being+introduced.+Larson+played+number+three+varsity+singles.+
Richard Larson (10) high-fives his teammates after being introduced. Larson played number three varsity singles.

The varsity boys tennis team took on the Bulldogs at Crown Point for the sectional title on Oct. 1, and lost with a score of 0-5. The team has prepared for sectionals all season.

“We have been practicing all season, and this has been the main thing that we have been practicing for. It’s sectionals and then [we try] to get to regionals. I went into the match just telling myself to play well and to play with confidence,” Keith Crawford (10) said.

It is impossible to play a perfect game as mistakes will always be made, especially against tough opponents.

“You can always play better, you can always make less mistakes, make better shots. I was happy with how I played. You can always learn to place a shot more and to make smarter decisions while playing,” Crawford said.

The Bulldogs were a tough opponent for the Indians tennis team, beating them 4-1 during the regular season.

“It was bittersweet because I wanted to win, even though we lost,” John Mamelson (11) said.

The team believes that they have grown since the beginning of the season.

“At the beginning of the year you figure out who you are, where you do well and you try to minimize your mistakes when you get to the state tournament.You want to get more consistent, and you want to be a better team than you were at the beginning of the year. We are a better team than we were at the beginning of the year,” Coach Ralph Holden, Social Studies, said.