Run for Education

Ms.+Aubria+Cichocki%2C+Math%2C+and+Sarah+Berumen+help+Mrs.+Tallent+throw+on+another+sweatshirt.+The+cold+weather+had+everyone+adding+layers.+
Ms. Aubria Cichocki, Math, and Sarah Berumen help Mrs. Tallent throw on another sweatshirt. The cold weather had everyone adding layers.

On Saturday, Oct. 4, the seventh annual Lake Central Education Foundation Cider Walk and Run was held at Redar Park.  The 5k aims to raise money for innovative classroom programs.

“We had a good turnout. You can always hope for more participants,” Michael Seljan, foundation director, said.

Over 80 walkers and runners were registered for the event.  With an early registration fee of $20 and a race day registration fee of $25, LCEF raised over $4,000 for Lake Central schools.

“We would certainly like to build on [the cider run], and increase the number of students and staff members,” Seljan said.

The cider run also issues a “double-dog dare” to each Lake Central school.  The school with the highest percentages of staff members participating wins the “Doggy Prize”.  This year, Lake Central High School took home the plaque.

The LCEF also gives medals to the first place runners overall and each age division.  With a time of just over 20 minutes, Lake Central student Mohammed Hijaz (10) won first place.

“I like these kinds of races,” Hijaz said. “They bring the neighborhood together.”

All rankings are available at thtiming.com