Plundering the Pirates

Quinn Paprocki (12) tackles a Merrillville player in the endzone. Paprocki, along with Charles Sykes (12) allowed only one touchdown against the high-powered Merrillville offense.

This week the football team faced a major competition without the power of corner Logan Lambert (12).  In the end, the team dominated the field with a score of 28-7 and took home another win for the DAC.

“Well we really stepped it up in practice this week, and it really payed off.  Losing Logan didn’t help, but everyone stepped up and the defense played great,” Ethan Darter (11) said.

Due to double coverage on wide receiver Antwan Davis (12), Austin Atkins (10) was the main scorer of the night, successfully scoring two touchdowns with Davis adding another and Brandon Scott (12) rushing for the fourth.

“They were double-covering Antwan and leaving one man on me so I had to step up and make plays.  It felt good. I’m glad the quarterback gave me the opportunity to make those plays,” Atkins said.

The team walked away with high spirits following a week of intense practices and the concern of being down a key player.

“I feel like everyone played really hard and our practice Wednesday definitely prepared us.  Coach was demanding that we max out and work hard and I feel like that’s what we did,” Atkins said.

The team buckled down, and worked hard to keep Merrillville from scoring more than a single touchdown in the first quarter. Next week, the team faces Valparaiso for the final match up of the DAC before Sectionals, where they will face off against the Lafayette Jefferson Bronchos on Friday, Oct. 24.

“We aren’t anticipating anything [for Valparaiso].  We are going to work hard in practice and go to Valpo and give it our all,” Darter said.