Varsity wrestling dominates Wolves

Brett Brown (10) stares down his Michigan City opponent. The Indians began their season with a 57-18 victory over the Wolves.

Tensions ran high in the home gym on Wednesday, Dec. 3, as the competition began to heat up between the varsity wrestling team and the Michigan City Wolves. The Indians secured the win with a 57-18 victory to start their season.

Early on, the Wolves gained points from winning initial matches and took the lead. However, the Indians were not going down that easily.

“As a team, [we can improve on] confidence definitely and mentally being strong and tough and working hard,” Kodie Christenson (12) said.

After a rough start, the team turned things around completely with a surge of dominance beginning with a pin from Branden Truver (12), making the score 22-18. Following Truver came a pin from Nicholas Taylor (12), a pin from Antonio Presta (12) and a pin from Christenson, making the score 40-18. However, the Indians did not stop there. Next came a big win with an 18-1 decision from Romel Spight (11), a relatively quick pin from Jacob Stewart (12) and an exciting pin from Jacob Kleimola (11), making the final score 57-18.

“I thought it was a good first meet. We had a little rust, but overall, the team did well, and we came out with a win,” Spight said.

The varsity wrestling team will host the Harvest Classic at home on Saturday, Dec. 6, at 8:30 a.m.