M-Halls’ Future Determined by New Referendum

The “M-Halls”, or modulars, have been around for as long as most current students can recall. The question that arises is, “How long will they be here?” A supposed inconvenience to some, their future here at LC will all be determined by the new referendum.

“[The M-Halls] were constructed due to overcrowding in hopes that they would relieve congestion,” Mr. Marty Freeman, assistant principal, said.

LC’s population has grown quite rapidly within the past few years and continues to increase.

“The amount of time the M-Halls were going to be around was undetermined. It was based on student population; we needed space and classrooms,” Mr. Tim Powers, assistant principal, said.

Late principal, Mrs. Sandy Platt, was the main decision-maker in the production of the modulars. The M100s were built four years ago, and the M200s and 300s were built two years ago.

“There were some people [who opposed it] in the beginning because of street appeal,” Freeman said.

Of course, a student will not have all of his or her classes in M-Hall, but some students do travel there often.

“I don’t like having classes in the modulars. They are pretty crowded. It’s hard being away from the whole high school because it isn’t easy to get to my locker or other classes,” Josh Vandas (10) said.

Teachers who reside in M-Hall, on the other hand, have a different perspective.

“I don’t mind [teaching in M-Hall]. The classrooms are presentable. I have the things I need. You can control the heating and air, and they are size adequate,” Mr. Rod Wartman, Economics, said.

The M-Halls will either stay put, or a new building will be constructed in their place. Students and teachers alike will have to wait until November for the final decision.