Q&A: Hailey Phelps (10)

Hailey+Phelps+%2810%29+wears+her+Young+Life+t-shirt+while+sitting+on+a+chair+in+the+hallway.++She+got+the+t-shirt+from+the+group%2C+which+usually+met+on+Wednesdays.++
Hailey Phelps (10) wears her Young Life t-shirt while sitting on a chair in the hallway. She got the t-shirt from the group, which usually met on Wednesdays.

Q: What is Young Life?

A: Young Life is kind of like a youth group, but it’s looser. We go to someone’s house or out to get pizza, talk for a bit about the Bible and the rest of the time we mess around and have fun.

Q: How did you become involved with Young Life?

A: I heard about [Young Life] through my main youth group, because one of its volunteers is a leader of Young Life.  He talked me into going, and I never stopped [going].

Q: How often does Young Life meet?

A: We meet once a week, usually on Wednesdays.

Q: What is the atmosphere of meetings like?

A: If a stranger comes in, they may be scared, because everyone wants to talk to the new kid.  Everybody runs and talks to them. Young Life is fun because more people start coming around, and it’s always friendly. It’s never quiet under any circumstance. It’s energetic and crazy, but it’s fun.

Q: Do you ever go on any trips or retreats?

A: I have been on two [retreats]. On one I was in training to lead middle schoolers.  The other was an all-nighter in Chicago where we went bowling, ice skating, to an IMAX movie, and had club, which is where we talk about the Bible.  We stayed out from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.

Q: Do you want to become a Young Life leader?

A: I am in training to be a WyldLife leader, which is like Young Life for middle schoolers, and in college I can become a Young Life leader. I’m thinking about doing this, but I’m not sure about it yet.

Q: What have you gained from Young Life?

A: I have definitely gained more friends. I have also learned a lot because it is easy to comprehend what they are teaching us because they make it simplistic. We learn about Christ, and we get to build relationships with other people.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Young Life?

A: I think my favorite thing is the people. We are all here for each other when we need each other.