A Brand New Ballgame

The Lake Central baseball team went against Valporasio on April 9th. Although they did not come out on top, the boys fought hard until the end. Drew Kosteba (11) shares how he earned his spot on the Lake Central team. 

“I first started playing baseball as an infielder, but I was told when I got to Lake Central that they saw me as something that could be an asset to the team. They also told me that my fastest way onto the varsity team was through the outfield since there were three Division 1 infielders on our team,” Kosteba said. 

Even though not all players start at a young age, many do to become as good as possible before they are old enough for the opportunity of playing on the high school team.

“I’ve been playing baseball my entire life, ever since I was five years old. I tried out a bunch of different sports when I was younger, and I was very active. Baseball was the one sport that stuck with me that I really loved. There’s a lot of movement in baseball, and I was really good at it when I was younger,” Jacob Figg (11) said.

As Figg became older, he found a way to use his skills with movement in his position on the field.

“To be a center fielder, you have to be fast. There is a lot of stress for speed in the outfield as a whole, but center fielders are required to cover a lot of ground. You have to have a lot of speed and agility to make those big plays in center field. The coaches really stress that everyday is a new challenge. They prepare us as much as they can for games,” Figg said.