Running low on runs

Joseph+Graziano+%2810%29+delivers+a+pitch+to+a+Crown+Point+batter.+Graziano+pitched+all+seven+innings+in+a+2-0+loss+to+the+Bulldogs.++
Joseph Graziano (10) delivers a pitch to a Crown Point batter. Graziano pitched all seven innings in a 2-0 loss to the Bulldogs.

The varsity baseball team met at Crown Point for the first DAC game of the season on Tuesday, April 14. The team finished with a 2-0 loss to the Bulldogs.

“We only get so many DAC games, so every game really matters, especially because it’s Crown Point, and we want to beat them,” Joseph Graziano (10) said.

Graziano pitched all seven innings throughout the game, finishing each inning with his team behind him but no runs in favor for the Indians.

“You kind of get nervous because you have to hold them. If we’re not scoring, we can’t let them score again. I was just trying to hold them and hope we can hit soon and win this game, but it just never came through,” Graziano said.

The team had an off game offensively and a few runners were left in scoring positions. At the top of the seventh inning, Ian Gifford (11) hit a double, but he didn’t make it across home plate.

“[We need to have] better approaches at the plate, like jumping on the first pitch and not being scared to hit. We struck out way too many times. We need to just put the ball in play [and] make them make a play. We left too many runners on base too. We have to get them in. You only get certain situations with runners on second and third, so when you do, you have to score them in, but we didn’t,” Graziano said.

The team’s next game will be at Portage on Wednesday, April 15.