Q&A: Madison Breford (11)

+Madison+Breford+%2811%29+and+Elise+Bereolos+%2811%29+pose+in+downtown+New+York+City+with+an+actor+on+Broadway.+Bereolos+and+Breford+journeyed+to+the+big+city+to+visit+the+New+York+University+campus+and+experience+a+Broadway+show.
Madison Breford (11) and Elise Bereolos (11) pose in downtown New York City with an actor on Broadway. Bereolos and Breford journeyed to the big city to visit the New York University campus and experience a Broadway show.

Q: How long have you been acting?

A: My dad directed a lot of shows when I was little, and he would take me with him to rehearsals. I officially started acting [at] four years old in one of my dad’s plays.

Q: Why have you chosen this as a career?

A: I’ve chosen [theatre] as my career path because it is one of the only things I am truly passionate about. I have always loved to perform for people, [and] even before I could talk, I could sing. By the time I was able to walk and talk, I would sing and dance for my family. I love to act in front of an audience, and I really can’t picture myself doing anything else.

Q: What makes you want to go to college in New York?

A: New York is not the only choice I have for college. There are tons of places that offer great opportunities for people interested in performing arts. However, New York is ideal because there are a lot of equity theaters there, and Broadway is there [too].

Q: How did you get the opportunity to go to New York City?

A: My dad travels all the time for his job. He was spending a week in New York [City] and he invited me and my friend Elise [Bereolos (11)] to come and tour NYU and explore the city.

Q: How did you immerse in the city life?

A: We did a lot of cool things while I was there. We walked around Times Square, went to Central Park, and we saw a few Broadway shows. Also, there is this somewhat famous bakery called Schmakary’s and, no exaggeration, they make the best cookies I have ever tasted.

Q: What was your favorite part of the trip?

A: We got to see three Broadway shows: two musicals and a play. We got to see “Beautiful: The Carol King Musical,” “It’s Only A Play,” and “Finding Neverland.” My dad and I have a family friend in the cast of “Beautiful,” so when we saw it, afterwards, we got a backstage tour, got our playbills signed by the entire cast and got to stand on the stage.

Q: How did this trip affect your desire to go to school in the city?

A: Getting to stand on [a] Broadway stage gave me determination. It sounds cliche, but when I stepped on that stage, I thought to myself, ‘I have to make it here.’ Performing arts is an extremely competitive business. There’s always rejection, because there will always be someone better than you, and if you’re not right for a part, then that’s it. Going to school in New York would be amazing, because everything is just right there, but before I make my decision on where to go, I want to find the place that will give me the best training to make it professionally.

Q: What are your goals for your future in acting?

A: I never want to stop. No matter what happens with colleges and auditions, I never want to stop acting. I want to be a professional actress, but it’s a seriously competitive business. If something happens and I can’t make it, I still want to act, or be involved with theater somehow. This is what I’m truly passionate about, and I can’t picture myself doing anything else.