Winning in the seventh inning

The+varsity+baseball+team+huddles+before+the+game+against+Munster+Friday%2C+May+29.+The+team+beat+the+Mustangs+with+a+final+score+of+5-3.+
The varsity baseball team huddles before the game against Munster Friday, May 29. The team beat the Mustangs with a final score of 5-3.

Steven Meyer (11) approaches the plate as the lead-off hitter. He takes a practice swing, and thunder rumbles. Moments later, a 30-minute delay is called, and Coach Brett Summers is telling Matthew Litwicki (10) to cover up his throwing arm.

After the delay, the varsity baseball team and Munster took the field in the first round of Sectionals at Munster, marked for Friday, May 29. Although the storm passed overhead, the Indians brought their share of damage to the field, sealing a 5-3 victory.

“The first two innings I was a little hyped up, and I couldn’t really find the zone. Later on, I settled down, and I started to find the zone a lot more and pitched my game instead of the hyped-up Litwicki [game],” Litwicki said.

Only the first three hitters dug their cleats into the batter’s box in the first inning. After striking out during his first at bat, Meyer redeemed himself his second time around.

“Coming back from the strikeout, I knew I’d have another opportunity at the plate, so I didn’t let it get to me. [Munster’s pitcher, Connor] Manous had gotten into a rhythm, and I had some idea of what I would see going into the at bat. It was nice to get the scoring started for the team,” Meyer said.

Beginning with Jack Kuehner’s (12) grounder that hopped between the first baseman’s legs, the team was regenerated with a surge of energy at the top of the seventh inning. Colin Studer (11) followed with a single, while Meyer was walked, loading the bases for Jorey Dimopouloos (12).

“Being a senior, I knew my teammates were counting on me for a big hit. I was really just trying to put the ball in play to get one run no matter what. When I saw where it went and realized two runs [were] scored, and I put us up, I was ecstatic. It was one of the greatest feelings in the world,” Dimopouloos said.

With two outs before the win could be secured, Litwicki dangled the team’s fate between back-to-back full counts. He concluded the game with a strikeout, leaving Munster with bases loaded on home turf.

“The first time, I got a little amped up. I tried to throw a little too hard and kind of just threw it in the ground. The second time, I was a little bit more prepared and calmed myself down and delivered the pitch. [Winning this game] boosted me so much, knowing that my team has my back like that, knowing that I can make mental errors on the mound a little bit because they’re going to back me up no matter what,” Litwicki said.

The team’s run in Sectionals will continue Monday, June 1 at 7 p.m. against Highland at Munster High School.