Varsity girls golf cuts it close at Palmira

Allison+Onest+%2812%29+marks+her+ball+on+the+green+before+her+putt.+Onest+completed+the+nine+holes+with+a+score+of+41+and+was+the+first+stagger+of+the+day.+
Allison Onest (12) marks her ball on the green before her putt. Onest completed the nine holes with a score of 41 and was the first stagger of the day.

On Tuesday Sept. 1, the varsity girls golf team competed at Palmira Golf Course against Crown Point. The Lady Indians won against the Bulldogs with a combined score of 163-165. Staggered on the course by number, first-place winner Alexis Mirstowski (12) shot a total of 35 throughout the afternoon. Palmira is Lake Central’s ‘home’ for the season and the girls have memorized it to a tee.

“[Personally] I think [the course] is easy because I play there all the time, but other people think it’s hard,” Stephanie Sanders (12) said.

Crown Point is one of Lake Central’s biggest rivals in many sports, especially golf. Tuesday afternoon was a close call for the Indians, and with only a slight difference in points, Lake Central pulled through in the end. The team worked hard individually to beat the Bulldogs.

“As a team I think we could have done better, and individually I could have done better too. [Crown Point] is one of our biggest rivals, and they played well last night. In the end, [the match] was really close,” Brooke Scartozzi (11) said.

Scartozzi ended the match with a 44 on Tuesday. New teammate Elana Lippe (9) played one of her personal bests, a 43.

“I was really nervous, but overall I think [the match] went really well for me. I shot pretty much one of my lowest scores and it was a great victory for us leading into the DAC season,” Lippe said.