Indians take the Slicers by storm

Anthony Giles (11) gets ready to catch the ball. Giles had two touchdowns in the second half.

On Saturday, Sept. 19, the varsity football team played against the LaPorte Slicers. The Indians beat the Slicers with a score of 37-20.

The game was originally scheduled for Friday, Sept. 18, but severe weather postponed the game to the next day.

“Playing on a Saturday afternoon was very different from playing on a Friday night. I’m just glad we were able to focus on one task, and that was winning,” Joshua Benson (11) said.

The Indians were up 23-7 after the first half. During that time, the team took control of the field and proceeded to make a total of three touchdowns and one field goal.

“It was a well-played game. Both offense and defense were locked in to make big plays and we did. It’s tough playing a good team like La Porte but we played as a team and got the job done,” Nicholas Lucas (11) said.

With Anthony Giles (11) scoring two touchdowns in the second half, this helped lead the team to victory. After winning this game, the Indians are now 3-0 in the DAC.

“Our team played well as a whole and that’s all that matters when facing a tough component. Playing against a good DAC team is always a challenge, but winning against them is a great feeling,” Giles said.

Even though the Indians won the game, most players knew they still had areas to improve on.

“I thought we did well overall but we still have to communicate better offensively. We also have to work on attacking the ball during special teams,” said Benson.

The Indians will face Michigan City at home on Friday, Sept. 25 for Lake Central’s homecoming game.