JV football shuts out the Slicers

Gavin Cantu (10) sprints down the field with the ball. Cantu threw two touchdown passes over the course of the game.

The JV football team gained a strong victory over LaPorte on Monday, Sept. 21. The Indians shut out the Slicers with a score of 26-0.

“We had a big win Saturday with varsity, so we kind of knew what they were going to be doing on offense and defense. We were pretty confident coming into this game,” Coach Josh Morgan said.

The confidence reflected on the Indian’s performance against the Slicers. Kyle Paul (11) scored early in the first quarter, giving the team momentum for the rest of the game. Other scorers were Ryan Ruberry (10), Trevor Murphy (10) and Joshua Williams (10).

“On offense, our receivers did a really good job today. Everyone did a really good job today. It was a combined team effort. On defense, Aaron Benninghoff (11) was the man out there. He was all over the place,” Coach Morgan said.

The defense definitely stepped up as well, keeping LaPorte from scoring the whole game.

“The defense did good. We kept them at zero points so that was good for us as a group. I feel like I had a good game. There’s always room for improvement, though, and I think we can collectively get better,” Aaron Benninghoff (11) said.

The JV football team’s next game takes place on Saturday, Sept. 26 in Michigan City.