Hunting down the wolves

The student sections shows their school spirit. Senior girls wore pink and black while other student followed the blue and white theme.

Spirit week led up to the long anticipated event, Homecoming. This annual tradition serves to unite staff, students and returning alumni. Similar to the 2013 homecoming, the game was played against Michigan City. This fall festivity began with a kick-off by Michigan City, which was secured down field by wide receiver Sean Griffin (12).

“Receiving the kick was all my teammates’ [work] with all the blocking. We could have got more yards off of it, but what we did I thought was great. We got enough yards to get through,” Griffin said.

During the second quarter, Khalid Yacoub (12) was hurt with 6:22 left in the quarter but walked it off with no serious injuries. With 6:02 remaining on the clock, the Wolves scored their first touchdown. However, with 2:20 left in the quarter, Griffin ran 68 yards, scoring a touchdown for the Indians.  

“I trusted my blocking, I trusted my teammates [and] I trusted my recievers. My coach and staff believed in me to get the ball, so I thank them for that,” Griffin said.

During halftime, the score was 21-6 Indians. Per tradition, the annual banner walk kicked off halftime, leading up to the crowning of the homecoming court. Juniors and seniors had a 24 hour time window from Sept. 23 to 24 to vote for Homecoming king and queen through their student emails. Senior Homecoming court nominees included Renn Arvanitis, Ryan Bereda, Jay Chopra, Paul Centanni,  Frank Dijak, Rachel Gross, Madeline Hirschfield, Rachel Inglese, Emily Miklusak and Joey Pavell. Senior king and queen were Centanni and Gross.

“I was surprised [I won]. I know all my teachers and peers voted for me, [but] I was really blessed [that] they chose me. All the guys and girls that were up there, those kids are awesome, I have known all of them forever,” Centanni said.

Halftime concluded with the band’s performance, “In Your Eyes.” By the beginning of the third quarter, kicker Austin Chekaluk (12) was three for three with field goals. The score at the end of the quarter was 27-6.

“My first field goal was in the first quarter, and it put us up by two possessions. Overall, it did little [to impact the game], but it gave us momentum for the rest of the game. My last field goal was [at the end of] the second quarter,” Chekaluk said.

LC scored a touchdown at the beginning of the fourth quarter with 10:35 left in the game, bringing the score to 33-6. Austin Atkins (11) scored a second touchdown with 7:57 remaining in the game.  The homecoming game ended with a final score of 40-6.
“[Throughout the game] we had a couple minor problems with penalties and stuff like that. Overall, I think we did what we were supposed to do this week. We just have to worry about next week now and put this [victory] behind us,” Griffin said.