Slicing the Slicers

At the end of the game, Peyton Crnjak (9), Taylor Marten (9), Nicole Dubish (10), Rachel Furmanek (11) and Amanda Robards (9) jump up to celebrate. The girls beat the LaPorte Slicers two out of the three matches.

As their season comes to a close, the JV girls volleyball team played one of their last matches against LaPorte High School on Oct. 8. The girls lost the first match, but won the game overall with the scores 24-25, 25-20 and 15-12.

“Last time [we played LaPorte] we lost, so this time there was a lot of stress on us because we really needed to beat them to clinch a DAC win,” Rachel Furmanek (11) said.

After jumping back and forth between leading the score during the first match, the girls fell behind and lost by one point.

“In the first game, we weren’t really meshing well, but it got better as the game went on,” Olivia Rogers (10) said.

The girls pushed through the next two matches and won both, which led them to an overall victory.

“The blocking went very well during the second and third sets, [it] definitely improved throughout the match. I think that’s what helped us win,” Mrs. Jennifer Fandl, Math, said.

In addition to their playing skills, the girls gained a victory by remaining optimistic throughout the game, even when they fell behind.

“If we’re all down on each other, it just leads to bad playing, so if we’re all positive it helps us stay up,” Furmanek said.

The last game of the season will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 13 against Valparaiso High School.