Indians face tough loss against Bulldogs

Victoria Gardenhire (12) celebrates after getting a kill. As an outside hitter, Gardenhire was a key offensive source for the Indians.

The girls varsity volleyball team took on Crown Point on Tuesday, Oct. 27 in a sea of blue and red. The Regional match, which was hosted in the new gymnasium, proved to be a tough battle between two competitive teams. In the end, the Bulldogs came out victorious in three sets, with scores of 25-16, 28-26 and 26-24, respectively.

“We didn’t play the way we wanted to. We were all hesitant at times. We could never get into a rhythm. Crown Point also played amazing yesterday. They were a completely different team from the first time we saw them. They came out wanting it more than we did, that’s for sure,” Victoria Gardenhire (12) said.

At the start of the match, the atmosphere in the gym was buzzing with energy. Both teams drew large fan and student sections to the game, creating a fierce competition of school spirit between the Indians and Bulldogs. This helped the players start out strong. After the first set, the next two sets grew closer and closer, with each team fighting point for point. Neither team held the lead for very long, keeping fans on the edge of their seats. The gym grew louder and louder as time went on.

“I think we played with our emotions. It was great that we had so much support. [It] really showed the school spirit that our school has,” Jacqueline Eader (12) said.

After coming extremely close to winning the final set, the Indians took a tough loss and ended their season. However, this will not be the last time that some of the girls will play in a match. Eader has committed to play at Manchester University and Evers has committed to play at University of Wisconsin at Whitewater.

“I will miss the girls. I’ve been playing this sport with [them] since we were little. We all got along so well and playing with them just made the season that much better. After [the club] season, I’ll be starting college with a new team and coaches, so I can’t be more excited for the future,” Evers said.