Off to a great start

Jaidyn Brown (9) defends against the opponent bringing the ball up the court. The Indians played Michigan City at home.

On Thursday Nov. 12 the Lake Central freshman girls basketball team took on Michigan City at home.

“[Michigan City’ team] varies from year to year. They are supposed to be really aggressive, so we have to play really tough. We expect hard drives to the basket because they really like to drive and score pretty fast,” Alayna Hand (9) said.

The game required both mental and physical preparation from each of the players involved. Individual preparation mixes and creates a team effort.

“As a team we run through our plays a lot of times at practice to make sure we know how to cover different defenses” Hand said.

As freshmen, this is the girls’ first year playing at the high school level. So far they are off to a great start, but there is always room for improvement.

“[I am working on] control[ling] the ball better. [As a team] I think we should box out and play defense better,” Camille Bereolos (9) said.

One important thing is to set achievable goals as an independant and also for the team you represent. There is no I in team.

“An overall goal [for the upcoming season] is working as a team and trying to go undefeated,” Jaidyn Brown (9) said.

The Indians defeated Michigan City 35-22. Their next game will be Tuesday, Nov. 17 away at Portage High School.