Reign after Regionals

Coach Jereme Rainwater, Vocational, speaks at the Fall Sports banquet. Coach Rainwater took the podium after he received his Coach of the Year award. Photo by: Rachel Front

On Nov. 18, Coach Jereme Rainwater, Vocational, was given his second Coach of the Year award after 18 years of coaching and 19 years of teaching. Coach Rainwater went to high school at Lake Central, graduated in 1994 and came back after receiving a degree from Vincennes University for Printing Technology and Graphic Communications to teach in 1996.

Coach Rainwater achieved this award due to the votes of the Athletic Director and others, but he believes it was achieved differently.

“Really good players [are the reason I achieved this award]. We have great players around here. When you do well in the post-season, you usually do well all around,” Coach Rainwater said.

The boys varsity soccer team went all the way to Regionals and made it to the final eight teams of the tournament.

“I knew from day one we were [going to] have a successful season just from the number of guys [who] were showing up in the summer,” Coach Rainwater said.

Coach Rainwater expressed his feelings toward the team of 24 as a whole and their overall season.

“The last few years haven’t really been successful in [terms] of results of games or winning in the tournament. I think any group that can turn something around that hasn’t gone well the past few years, like this group has. It says a lot about their talent, their will [and] their desire,” Coach Rainwater said.
Coach Rainwater received his reward and title at the 2015 Fall Sports banquet.