Starting with a splash

Austin Atkins (11) leads the fastbreak following a steal. Atkins is one of five juniors playing for varsity this season.

On Monday, Nov. 23, Skyler Smith (12) and his teammates stepped out onto the court knowing it would be a game of firsts. The varsity boys basketball team was ready to tip off a fresh season against the Andrean 59ers in IHSAA’s first scheduled basketball game of the season.

Smith, known as one-half of Lake Central’s “Splash Brothers” because of his great 3-point shot,  started the season by converting on a 3-pointer just minutes into the game, not only giving the Indians a 3-0 lead, but also making the first basket in a varsity boys game on Lake Central’s brand new court.

“[Scoring the first basket] was huge to be honest. It made me feel good and it started off the season right. Knowing this was the first game just made everyone more motivated and ready to go out and play,” Smith said.

The Indians were able to maintain a lead throughout most of the game. However, the season is still young, and there’s still time for improvement.

“This was the first game in the state. It is an extremely early game to play, so I have never seen this game played pretty, and tonight was not pretty. I knew this was going to be ugly, and free throws were a little shaky because we were just getting used to the atmosphere. Really we are just ready to get back to practice this week and improve on some areas,” Head Coach Dave Milausnic said.

The Indians will have a little under a week to improve before their next battle at Hamilton Southeastern High School on Saturday, Nov. 28.